Monday, July 25, 2005

white privilege: unpacking the invisible knapsack

white privilege: unpacking the invisible knapsack

read this article. my wife pointed it out to me and i think it is incredible. it is all about the privileges that i as an anglo recieve simply for being anglo. it's not a bash on the white people article. instead it is simply a good reminder of what others have to overcome.

here are a few of the mainly unperceived white privileges:
  • Whether I use checks, credit cards or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of financial reliability.
  • I can talk with my mouth full and not have people put this down to my color.
  • I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.
  • I can worry about racism without being seen as self-interested or self-seeking.
  • I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.
  • 2 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home