Sunday, July 03, 2005

my thoughts on creativity

i am not a very creative person. some people think that i am creative and have told me that i am but that's just because they have never really met a truly creative person. i'm simply not creative but i have learned a good substitute for creativity ... time.

jonathan, our minister of belonging, and i discussed this recently regarding the welcome tables he sets up each week. jonathan tries to establish a different and creative welcome table for each week's youth oriennted worship gathering. two weeks ago he stated that he was running out of ideas. so i told him my ideas on time being an effective substitute for creativity. here are my thoughts.

if you plan far enough ahead you have the opportunity to have many experiences that will contribute to enhancing your plan. so i try to plan my messages and worship services out for a minimum of six months so that i have time for the messages and services to "simmer" and for the experiences around me to build up and find connections with the services and messages. the most creative messages and services i ever contribute to are always ones that have been able to "percolate" and "ruminate" for a long time. time gives me the ability to discuss the message with other people and get their input and help on it. time gives me the chance to have random experiences to suddenly become very pertinent to the worship service. time also allows me to "accidentally" wander into the resources i need to accomplish the plan that has developed. i guess you could say that my basic thought is that time gives one the chance to truly be inspired by the SPIRIT rather than just trying to winging it.

for me worst problems are when i try to "wing it". you can always tell when i have not put enough time into something. it's shallow, vanilla, and boring. the SPIRIT isn't there to give it life and spice because i haven't allowed it to simmer long enough for any real inspiration to occur.

shane yancey at confessions of an average youth minister just posted about having things "pop up" at the last second and how disturbing they are. i usually hate those last minute ideas for a different reason - for me they are usually just not that creative.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home